Streatley (St. Mary)
STREATLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bradfield, hundred of Moreton, county of Berks, 5½ miles (S. by W.) from Wallingford; containing 597 inhabitants, and comprising an area of 3294a. 1r. 21p. This place is supposed to have taken its name from its situation on the ancient Ikeneld-street, which here crosses the Thames to Goring, in Oxfordshire. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 7. 6., and in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury: the great tithes, belonging to P. Pusey, Esq., have been commuted for £82. 10., and the vicarial tithes for £5; the glebe of the vicar consists of 290 acres. Here was a Dominican convent.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.