Stratton (St. Mary)
STRATTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of George, Dorchester division of the county of Dorset, 3½ miles (N. W.) from Dorchester; containing 331 inhabitants. It comprises 1683 acres, of which 190 are common or waste. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Charminster: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £275. 10., and those of the incumbent for £5. 12. The church has a lofty tower; the chancel was pulled down in 1547. A Roman road from Dorchester to Ilchester passes through the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.