Stowey, Over (St. Mary Magdalene)
STOWEY, OVER (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, hundred of Cannington, W. division of Somerset, 1 mile (S. S. W.) from Nether Stowey; containing 568 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3647a. 3r. 35p. Greywacke stone is abundant, and red-sandstone is found, with detached portions of limestone. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with part of the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 5½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells; impropriators, the Corporation of Bristol. The great tithes have been commuted for £130, and the incumbent's for £165; the rectorial lands comprehend 65½ acres, and the vicarial 1½ acre. The church is a neat building, lately beautified.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.