Stowell (St. Mary Magdalene)
STOWELL (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Horethorne, E. division of Somerset, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Wincanton; containing 117 inhabitants, and consisting of 903 acres by admeasurement. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 15., and in the gift of W. M. Dodington, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £169, and the glebe comprises 27 acres. The church was rebuilt in 1834.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.