DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stow, West (St. Mary)

STOW, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Blackbourn, W. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 279 inhabitants. It is situated on the right bank of the river Lark, and consists of 2926a. 3r. 36p. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Wordwell united, valued in the king's books at £9. 17. 3½., and in the gift of R. B. de Beauvoir, Esq.: the tithes of the parish have been commuted for £191, and the glebe comprises 29¾ acres. The church contains numerous memorials of the ancient family of Croft. The remains of the Hall convey some idea of its former magnificence; the gateway entrance is a fine specimen of brick-work of the time of Henry VIII. The Rev. John Boys, one of the learned divines employed in the translation of the Bible, was rector of West Stow.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement