BERWICK, a parish, in the union of West Firle, hundred of Longbridge, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Lewes; containing 199 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the Cuckmere river, and intersected by the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, and comprises 1060 acres, of which 330 are common or waste; the soil is chiefly chalk, clay, and rich loam. The Berwick station of the Brighton and Hastings railway is equidistant from the station at Lewes and that at Pevensey. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of John Ellman, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £387. 10., and the glebe consists of 21 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a tower formerly surmounted by a spire, which was destroyed by lightning in 1774. Wood fossils are found in a sand-pit.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.