Berry-Pomeroy (St. Mary)
BERRY-POMEROY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Haytor, Paignton and S. divisions of Devon, 1½ mile (E. N. E.) from Totnes; containing with the township of Bridgetown, 1149 inhabitants. This place derives its distinguishing appellation from a family of that name, one of whom, Ralph de Pomeroy, soon after the Conquest founded a castle here, of which there are still some remains. The parish comprises by measurement 4335 acres, whereof 2629 are arable, 1204 pasture, 237 woodland, 167 orchard, and 62 common or waste, and is intersected by the navigable river Dart; the low lands are rich and fertile, abounding in irrigated meadows and fruitful orchards, and on the high grounds are produced excellent crops of corn. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 19. 7.; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Somerset: the great tithes have been commuted for £400, and the vicarial for £420, with a glebe of 3 acres. The church contains a finely-carved screen and rood-loft. A chapel in the pointed style was erected at Bridgetown, at the expense of the patron, in 1832.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.