DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stonham, Aspal (St. Lambert)

STONHAM, ASPAL (St. Lambert), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (N. E.) from Needham-Market; containing 772 inhabitants, and comprising 2399a. 2r. 25p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 10. 2½., and in the gift of Sir W. F. F. Middleton, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £666. 10.; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises about 40 acres. The church is a handsome edifice, with a square tower containing a fine peal of ten bells. Here is a free school, endowed in 1612 by the Rev. John Metcalf, rector, with land now producing £100 per annum; the same benefactor left 2s. 6d. each per week to four persons, and about £50 a year for the general purposes of the parish.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement