Stokesley (St. Peter)
The parish comprises about 5960 acres, of which 1744a. lr. 28p., are in Stokesley township. The lands are rich, and generally level, forming an extensive plain adorned with thriving plantations, and enlivened by the winding streams of the Leven and Tame, which abound with trout of excellent quality. The manor-house, the residence of Lieut.-Col. Hildyard, is a handsome mansion pleasantly situated near the church. The living is a rectory, with the curacy of Westerdale; it is valued in the king's books at £30. 6. 10½., and is in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The tithes of Stokesley have been commuted for £956, and the glebe comprises 76 acres; the rector's tithes in Westerdale have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 11 acres. The church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1771. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans. The free grammar school was founded by John Preston, Esq., who in 1814 bequeathed £2000 for its endowment; the validity of the bequest was disputed by the next of kin, and the funds consequently accumulated to £4000. The school-house was rebuilt by the trustees, in 1833, and the school has been since conducted by a head master who has a salary of £80, and an under master who has a salary of £50. It affords gratuitous instruction in the classics, and in writing and arithmetic, to about twenty-seven boys; and the building, which is in the early English style of architecture, is well adapted to its purpose. A national school is supported by subscription. The West Langbaurgh savings' bank was established here in 1823, and has deposits to the amount of £17,000, belonging to several charitable societies and about 600 individuals. There is also a dispensary for the relief of the sick poor. The union of Stokesley comprises twenty-eight parishes and places, containing a population of 9046.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.