Stoke-Under-Hamdon (St. Denis)
STOKE-UNDER-HAMDON (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Tintinhull, W. division of Somerset, 5¾ miles (w. by N.) from Yeovil; containing 1367 inhabitants. It comprises 1366 acres by admeasurement, exclusive of Hamdon Hill. The soil is rich, bearing grain and green crops in abundance; about 700 acres are arable, 350 pasture, 100 in orchards, and 30 wood. The surface is marked by gentle undulations, and the scenery agreeably interspersed with elm and other trees. There is a considerable manufacture of gloves. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £5. 10. 2½.; net income, £89; patrons and impropriators, the family of Hawkesworth. The church is a very ancient edifice in the early English style, containing 350 sittings. A free chapel or chantry, for a provost and four priests, in honour of St. Nicholas, was founded in 1304, by Sir John Beauchamp, Knt., in a castle here. In the time of Leland, there were extensive remains of this castle near the village; as also many old monuments, statues, &c., in the chapel.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.