Stoke, North (St. Martin)
STOKE, NORTH (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Keynsham, hundred of Bath-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 4¼ miles (N. W.) from Bath; containing 173 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 800 acres; in the upper part the soil rests upon oolite, and in the lower has a clayey subsoil. On the west flows the Avon, the ground gradually rising from the river to the heights of Lansdowne, which give the title of Marquess to the family of Petty. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £100; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 26 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.