Stoke-Lane (St. Michael)
STOKE-LANE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, hundred of Whitestone, E. division of Somerset, 4 miles (N. E.) from Shepton-Mallet; containing 1056 inhabitants. The parish is situated about a mile north of the road from Wells to Frome, and comprises 2074 acres, of which about 256 are arable, 1607 meadow and pasture, and 165 in woods and plantations. The soil in general is shallow and damp; on the north side of the Mendip hills it rests upon a layer of red gravel, and in the other parts there is a substratum of limestone and firestone. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income £120; patron, the Vicar of Doulting; impropriator, Richard Strachey, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £75, and the vicarial for a like sum. The church was rebuilt in the early English style in 1838.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.