Stoke-Cannon (St. Mary Magdalene)
STOKE-CANNON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of Wonford, Wonford and S. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Exeter; containing 490 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1100 acres, and is crossed by the rivers Exe and Culm; the latter intersects the village, and turns a paper-mill giving employment to about 30 persons. The railroad from Bristol to Exeter also passes through the village. Thirty-two houses, and as many barns, out-houses, and stables, were destroyed by fire here, in April, 1847. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, the appropriators: the great tithes have been commuted for £140, and those of the perpetual curate for £128. The church and manor were given by King Athelstan to the Cathedral of Exeter: the edifice, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1836; the font is an object of great interest, supposed by antiquaries to be at least 700 years old, and the church contains a monument to the memory of a son of Bishop Hall.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.