Stogursey, or Stoke-Courcy (St. Andrew)
STOGURSEY, or Stoke-Courcy (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Cannington, W. division of Somerset, 8½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Bridgwater; containing, with the hamlets of Burton, Knighton, Shurton, Stoford, and Week, 1467 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the Bristol Channel, and comprises 5853 acres, of which 275 are common or waste land. The living is a vicarage, with that of Lilstock annexed, valued in the king's books at £16. 7. 6., and in the gift of Eton College. Certain tithes belonging to the rector of Huntspill were exchanged for corn-rents in 1800, under an inclosure act; and rent-charges in commutation of tithes, under the recent act, of £50, £800, and £370, are payable respectively to an impropriator, to the college, and the vicar. A Benedictine priory, a cell to the abbey of L'Onley, in Normandy, was founded here in the reign of Henry II.; it was valued at £58 per annum, and granted by Henry VI. to Eton College.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.