STOCKSFIELD-HALL, a township, in the parish of Bywell St. Andrew, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. W.) from Corbridge; containing 29 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north by the river Tyne, over which a bridge was built here in 1838; and comprises about 200 acres, mostly arable land. The soil is gravelly, producing, particularly in moist seasons, excellent crops of grain; and the scenery, which is very beautiful, is from one part quite panoramic. The Newcastle and Carlisle Railway has a station in the township. The tithes have been commuted for £40.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.