STILLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Red-Marshall, union of Sedgefield, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Stockton; containing 67 inhabitants. Merton College, Oxford, had lands here at a very early date, as in 1367 William de la Pole held some property in Stilyngton, of the master of the college, by the service of one rose; in the 17th century the Morpeths possessed some interest in the place. The township lies to the north-west of Red-Marshall, from which it is separated by a portion of Bishopton; it comprises by measurement 1087 acres, of which 824 are arable, 259 pasture, and 4 road and waste. The main line of the Clarence railway passes through the township, and the Durham branch strikes off here. Tithe rentcharges have been awarded, of which £65 are payable to the rector, and £56. 6. 8. to Christ's Hospital, Sherburn.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.