Stetchworth (St. Peter)
STETCHWORTH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Newmarket, hundred of Radfield, county of Cambridge, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Newmarket; containing 673 inhabitants, and comprising 2858a. 3r. 24p. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 12. 1.; net income, £174; patrons and impropriators, the family of Eaton. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1814. The church contains a handsome monument in white marble to the Hon. Henry Gorges. An almshouse for two persons of each sex was founded in 1700, by Lord and Lady Gorges, who endowed it with £30 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.