STERNDALE, EARL, a chapelry, in the parish of Hartington, union of Bakewell, hundred of Wirksworth, N. division of the county of Derby, 5½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Buxton; containing 362 inhabitants. The Peak-Forest and Cromford railroad passes through the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £96; patron, the Vicar of Hartington; impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire. The chapel was erected in the year 1829, and is a neat building with a square embattled tower.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.