Stawley (St. Michael)
STAWLEY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Wellington, hundred of Milverton, W. division of Somerset, 7 miles (W. by N.) from Wellington; containing 222 inhabitants. It comprises about 800 acres of land, nearly equally divided into arable and pasture, interspersed with woodlands; the soil is loamy, with portions of lighter quality. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 8. 6½.; net income, £150; patron, John Hayne, Esq. The church is a plain ancient structure.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.