Staverton (St. Mary)
STAVERTON (St.Mary), a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Fawsley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (W. S. W.) from Daventry; containing 503 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the Warwick and Northampton road, comprises by measurement 2400 acres: the soil is various; the surface is elevated and hilly, and the surrounding scenery interesting. The river Nene has its source in the parish, and the Leam separates it from the county of Warwick. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes: net income, £549; patrons, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for 276 acres of land, under an act of inclosure, in 1774; and there are 74 acres of old glebe. The church is a handsome structure in the decorated and later English styles, with a lofty square embattled tower. The Rev. Francis Baker, in 1767, endowed a school with some land which, at the inclosure, was exchanged for 27a. 1r., now producing £52 per annum. The Rev. Sir John Knightley subsequently gave £200 for a Sunday school. Dr. Fanshaw, regius professor of divinity at Oxford, was incumbent of the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.