STAPLETON, a township, partly in the parish of Barton, but chiefly in that of Croft, wapentake of Gilling-East, union of Darlington, N. riding of York, 2¼ miles (S. W.) from Darlington; containing 117 inhabitants. It is on the south side of Teesdale, and comprises about 920 acres of land. The village is pleasantly situated on the bank of the Tees; and on the green stands the trunk of a large elm which has weathered the storms of several centuries. The tithes have been commuted for £160 payable to the rector of Croft, and £2. 13. to the vicar of Gilling.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.