STAPLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Barwell, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Hinckley; containing 245 inhabitants. It comprises 1299a. 1r. 7p. of land, nearly equally divided between arable and pasture; the soil is light. A rent-charge of £240 has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes, and there is a glebe of 53½ acres. The chapel is dedicated to St. Martin.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.