Stapenhill (St. Peter)
STAPENHILL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 1 mile (S. E.) from Burton; containing, with the chapelry of Cauldwell, and the township of Stanton with Newhall, 2261 inhabitants. The parish comprises by survey 4620 acres, of which 1656 are in the township of Stapenhill. The soil is chiefly of strong quality, well adapted for wheat and beans, with some portions of good turnip soil; the surface is hilly, and the substratum abounds with coal, of which several extensive mines are in operation. The village is pleasantly situated on the east bank of the Trent. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 0½., and in the patronage of the Marquess of Anglesey: the glebe comprises 80 acres, with a pleasant residence. The church, which had become dilapidated, was taken down and rebuilt in 1839, at the expense of the incumbent, the Rev. John Clay; it is a chaste and handsome structure in the early English style, beautifully situated on an eminence which overhangs the river. There is a chapel of ease at Cauldwell; and at Stanton with Newhall is a separate incumbency. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A national school has been erected near the church; and some small bequests are appropriated to the poor.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.