UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stanwix (St. Michael)

STANWIX (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Carlisle, partly in Cumberland ward, but chiefly in Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Cargo, Etterby, Houghton, Linstock, Rickerby, Stainton, and Tarraby, 2088 inhabitants, of whom 789 are in Stanwix township, ½ a mile (N.) from Carlisle. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Eden, which is crossed by a handsome stone bridge, leading into the city of Carlisle: the village is beautifully situated. A soft freestone abounds in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9; net income, £264; patron, the Bishop of Carlisle, who, with the Dean and Chapter, is appropriator. The old church, lately rebuilt, was erected upon the site, and out of the ruins, of the Congavata of the Romans, of which station Severus' Wall formed the northern rampart, and near which many altars and inscriptions have been found. A district church was erected at Houghton in 1841.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.