Stanwell (St. Mary)
STANWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Staines, hundred of Spelthorne, county of Middlesex, 2¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Staines; containing, with part of Colnbrook chapelry, 1495 inhabitants. The parish comprises by estimation 3963 acres, of which 2466 are arable, 1148 meadow and pasture, and 31 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9, and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, Sir John Gibbon, Bart., and others. The great tithes have been commuted for £552, and the small for £280: the vicar has 7 acres of glebe. The church is principally in the later English style. There is a place of worship for Independents; also a school for boys, endowed in 1624 by Thomas, Lord Knevitt.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.