Stanton-Prior (St. Lawrence)
STANTON-PRIOR (St. Lawrence),a parish, in the union and hundred of Keynsham, E. division of Somerset, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Bath; containing 148 inhabitants. The parish comprises 841 acres, of which 83 are common or waste. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10.1.10½., and in the gift of the Langton family: the tithes have been commuted for £187, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. On a long isolated eminence called Stanton Bury, are the remains of an ancient intrenchment, inclosing more than thirty acres; it has been thought a work of the Romans, some of their coins having been found near it; but, being situated on the Wansdyke, it had probably a more remote origin, and was only subsequently occupied by them.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.