Stanton, Long (All Saints)
STANTON, LONG (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred of Northstow, county of Cambridge, 6¼ miles (N. W.by N.) from Cambridge; containing 409 inhabitants, and comprising 1900 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 13. 4½.; net income, £155; patron, the Bishop of Ely; impropriators, the Hutton family. The tithes were commuted for land in 1811; the glebe comprises 45 acres, with a house. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. £27 per annum, arising from bequests, are appropriated to the poor. The bishops of Ely formerly had a palace here, at which Queen Elizabeth was entertained on the day after her visit to the university of Cambridge, in August 1564.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.