Stanton, with Newhall
STANTON, with Newhall, a township, in the parish of Stapenhill, union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Burton; containing 1531 inhabitants. The township comprises 1613 acres, the hamlet of Stanton forming its western side; Newhall hamlet lies to the east, and has a large village. Here is an extensive bed of coal of superior quality, 24 feet in thickness; and a superior clay is found in the coal-mines, from which straw-coloured earthenware is manufactured. A church, erected at the sole expense of the Rev. John Clay, vicar of Stapenhill, was opened for divine service in July 1833; the cost of erection, including a parsonage and schools, was £7000. The living is endowed with £2000, and is in the gift of the founder. The Methodists have a place of worship.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.