Stanmore, Great (St. John the Evangelist)
STANMORE, GREAT (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Hendon, hundred of Gore, county of Middlesex, 10 miles (N. W.) from London; containing 1177 inhabitants. The first meeting, after the conclusion of the late war, of the Prince Regent and his illustrious guests the Emperor of Russia and the King of Prussia, with Louis XVIII., took place here. The parish comprises 1441a. 1r., of which 170 acres are arable, 1217 meadow and pasture, and 54 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of the Marquess of Abercorn: the tithes have been commuted for £444, and the glebe comprises 41 acres. There is a place of worship for Independents. The celebrated Dr. Parr kept a school on the site of a house now belonging to Mr. Barren. Here is a monument in memory of Cassivelaunus; also a mound called Belmont, thrown up at the expense of the Duke of Chandos.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.