Spennithorne (St. Michael)
SPENNITHORNE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Leyburn, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Bellarby and Harmby, 785 inhabitants, of whom 198 are in Spennithorne township, 1 mile (N. E. by N.) from Middleham. In Spennithorne township are 1261 acres, of which 1198 are arable and pasture, and 63 woodland; the scenery is beautiful, embracing wood, water, and rich pastures. There are some quarries of limestone. The village is neat, and pleasantly situated on the north side of Wensleydale: the river Ure, which is very devious in its course, passes at a short distance on the west. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 10. 5.; net income, £425; patron, Marmaduke Wyvill, Esq. The rectorial tithes of Spennithorne and Harmby were commuted for land in 1775; and some tithes in Harmby have been recently commuted for a rent-charge of £10. 16. The church is an ancient structure. At Bellarby is a separate incumbency. John Hutchinson, a philosophical writer, was born in the parish in 1667.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.