Spaxton (St. Margaret)
SPAXTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, hundred of Cannington, W. division of Somerset, 5 miles (W.) from Bridgwater; containing 1002 inhabitants. The parish is situated at the foot of the Quantock hills, and comprises 3387 acres, of which 95 are common or waste land: there are several quarries, some of them containing an excellent sandstone, of which the church was built. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 8. 9., and in the gift of the Rev. James Galloway: the tithes have been commuted for £650; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 66 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style. The Rev. Joseph Cook, rector, bequeathed lands in 1708, producing a liberal income, for the maintenance of six persons in an hospital; also £6 per annum, for teaching children.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.