SOUTHTOWN, anciently a parish, but now commonly considered a hamlet in the parish of Gorleston, locally in the hundred of Mutfrod and Lothingland, E. division of Suffolk; containing 1428 inhabitants. This place was formerly called Little Yarmouth, and is a suburb to Great Yarmouth, with which it is connected by a bridge over the Yare. As regards franchise, and matters of trade and jurisdiction, it was united to that borough by an act passed in the 16th and 17th of Charles II. It consists of two separate parts, about a mile and a half distant from each other, of which the south-eastern, overlooking the sea, and adjoining Gorleston High-street, is called, by way of distinction, Southtown-on-the-Hill. The other part extends from Yarmouth bridge about half a mile southward, along the western bank of the Yare, one side of the road being occupied by handsome private houses, and the other by timber-wharfs, docks, and yards for ship-building. The living, a discharged rectory, was consolidated in 1520 with the vicarage of Gorleston; and the parochial church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has fallen into decay. There is, however, a church dedicated to St. Mary, erected in 1831, by subscription, at an expense of £2300, the Earl of Lichfield, then Viscount Anson, giving the site and £500: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £200; patrons, Trustees. The tithes have been commuted for £110.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.