Southrop (St. Peter)
SOUTHROP (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Northleach, hundred of Brightwell's-Barrow, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N.) from Lechlade; containing 403 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1400 acres, and is watered by the river Lead: there are several quarries of stone for repairing roads. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 8.; patrons, the Warden and Fellows of Wadham College, Oxford; impropriator, J. Tuckwell, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £220, and the glebe contains about 50 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.