Sotwell (St. James)
SOTWELL (St. James), a parish, in the union and parliamentary borough of Wallingford, hundred of Moreton, county of Berks, 1¾ mile (N. W. by W.) from Wallingford; containing 148 inhabitants, and comprising 672a. 2r. 5p. The living is annexed to the rectory of St. Leonard, Wallingford. The rector's tithes have been commuted for £119. 11.: Queen's College, Oxford, and God's House, Southampton, own a portion of the impropriate tithes, which have been commuted for £102. 11.; and the remainder have been commuted for £51.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.