Snitterfield (St. James)
SNITTERFIELD (St. James), a parish, in the union of Stratford-upon-Avon, Snitterfield division of the hundred of Barlichway, S, division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Stratford; containing 822 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 3725 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. The soil is a stiff loam, alternated with gravel; the surface is undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by a copious brook which flows through the whole extent of the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £271; patron, the Bishop of Worcester; impropriator, Mark Philips, Esq., lord of the manor, who has much beautified the village. The principal part of the tithes were commuted for land in 1765; the residue of the great tithes have been commuted for £109. 10., and of the vicarial for £55: the glebe comprises 240 acres. The church, an ancient edifice with a tower, exhibits portions in the early, decorated, and later English styles; it was repewed in 18412. The building contains a monument to the Rev. Richard Jago, formerly vicar, and author of a poem called Edge-Hill, and other poems; and a chaste monument by Denman (brother-in-law of Flaxman) to George Lloyd, Esq., high sheriff of the county in 1806, and who died in 1831. There is a national school, conducted in a commodious building.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.