SLEDDALE, LONG, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 8 miles (N. by W.) from Kendal; containing 160 inhabitants. It comprises 5085 acres, nearly half of which consists of pasture and woodland. Here are quarries of fine blue slate, situated amid mountain scenery of the most romantic character. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The chapel was rebuilt in 1712.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.