Slaughter, Upper (St. Peter)
SLAUGHTER, UPPER (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Stow, Lower division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Stow; containing 231 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1727 acres of land, chiefly arable, with some good meadow. The surface is hilly, being a portion of the Cotswold range; and the lower grounds are watered by two brooks, which, after flowing through the parish, unite with a third, together forming the river Windrush. The substratum contains stone, which is quarried for building purposes as occasion requires. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 14. 2.; net income, £131; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. E. Witts. The tithes were commuted for land in 1731; the glebe altogether comprises 227 acres. The church is in the Norman style, with subsequent additions.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.