Slapton (St. Botolph)
SLAPTON (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Towcester, hundred of Greens-Norton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Towcester; containing 208 inhabitants. It comprises about 600 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. The soil is chiefly clay, alternated with loam, and in the higher lands consists of gravel and sand; the surface on the south is flat, and a brook bounds the parish on this side, separating it from Abthorpe. Limestone abounds. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 9½.; patron, the Rev. Thomas Coleman Welch. The church is an ancient structure with a tower, and a handsome chancel window. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.