Slapton (Holy Cross)
SLAPTON (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Leighton-Buzzard; containing, with part of Horton hamlet, 336 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1170a. 1r., of which about two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture; the soil is clay, and the surface generally level. The Grand Junction canal passes through the parish, and the London and Birmingham railway within a mile of the church. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 9. 7.; net income, £172; patrons, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.