UK Genealogy Archives logo

Silpho, with Harwood-Dale

SILPHO, with Harwood-Dale, a chapelry, in the parish of Hackness, union of Scarborough, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York, 6ΒΌ miles (N. W. by W.) from Scarborough; containing 335 inhabitants, of whom 93 are in the hamlet of Silpho. The hamlet comprises 2351 acres, of which 521 are arable, 607 pasture, 683 wood, and 540 waste or moor.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.