Shrivenham (St. Andrew)
SHRIVENHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Farringdon, hundred of Shrivenham, county of Berks, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Farringdon; containing, with the tythings of Beckett and Bourton, the hamlet of Fernham, the chapelry of Longcott, and the township of Watchfield, 2353 inhabitants, of whom 814 are in the town or village. The parish comprises 7205a. 3r. 13p. The Wilts and Berks canal and the Great Western railway pass through it. William de Valence obtained a charter, in 1257, for a market on Thursday, and a fair on the festival of St. Mary Magdalene, which were confirmed by another charter in 1383, but both which have been long disused. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20, and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £676; impropriator, Viscount Barrington. A tithe rent-charge of £129 is paid to the impropriator, and one of £224 to the vicar; the impropriate glebe consists of 170 acres, and the vicarial of 29 acres. The church is a very large structure, principally in the Norman style, with a tower rising from the centre, and contains a monument to Admiral Barrington, by Flaxman. There is a separate incumbency at Longcott. Eight almshouses were founded in 1642 by Sir Henry Marten, with an endowment, including an augmentation by Mrs. Elizabeth Sadler, amounting to about £80 per annum. A chantry was founded here in 1336, by John de Burghton and Agnes, his wife.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.