Sherwill (St. Peter)
SHERWILL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwill, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (N. E.) from Barnstaple; containing 686 inhabitants, and comprising 4762 acres. This parish is supposed to derive its name from the purity of its waters: near the village is a copious well of limpid water, which in the driest seasons affords an abundant supply. The substratum abounds with stone quarried for building purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30. 3. 11½., and in the gift of Sir Arthur Chichester, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £545, and the glebe comprises 91 acres, with a small house. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a tower at the western extremity of the south aisle.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.