Sherford (St. Martin)
SHERFORD (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Coleridge, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 3¼ miles (E.) from Kingsbridge; containing 450 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2267 acres, of which 26 are common or waste land. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Stokenham. The church contains some good screen-work. Attached to an old farmhouse at Kennedon are some remains of the manorial seat of Justice Hals, who lived in the reign of Henry V.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.