Sherfield-upon-Loddon (St. Leonard)
SHERFIELD-upon-Loddon (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Odiham, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Basingstoke; containing 640 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 3. 6½., and in the gift of the Rev. W. Eyre: the tithes have been commuted for £674. 10., and the glebe comprises 36 acres. Besides the church, there are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. James Christian, in 1735, gave £100 to build a school-house, and £25 a year for education.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.