Sherborne St. John, or East Sherborne (St. Andrew)
SHERBORNE ST. JOHN, or EAST SHERBORNE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Basingstoke, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Basingstoke; containing 718 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 8. 1½., and in the gift of W. L. W. Chute, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £600, and the glebe consists of 63 acres. There is a private chapel at the Vine, the seat of Mrs. Chute, containing a tomb in memory of Chaloner Chute, speaker of the house of commons in Richard Cromwell's parliament, and the purchaser of this noble mansion, which was erected in the reign of Henry VIII. by the first Lord Sandys.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.