Shepton-Montague (St. Peter)
SHEPTON-MONTAGUE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Norton-Ferris, E. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (S.) from Burton; containing 407 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2428 acres of land, about equally divided into arable and dairy farms; the surface is undulated, and the scenery pleasing. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £8. 15.; net income, £62; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Ilchester, whose tithes have been commuted for £223. The church is an ancient structure in various styles.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.