Shenstone (St. John the Baptist)
SHENSTONE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Lichfield, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Lichfield; containing, with the chapelry of Over Stonall, 1962 inhabitants. It comprises 8451a. 2r. 35p., of which 30 acres are common or waste land; the soil is fertile, producing crops of wheat and barley, and there are extensive and luxuriant pastures. The surface is undulated, and watered by several rivulets that abound with trout. The scenery is enlivened with gentlemen's seats and pleasant villas; the village is neatly built. The parish is intersected at one end by the Wyrley and Essington canal, by which limestone is brought hither from Rushall to be burnt at Sandhills, by Messrs. George and James Brawn, who have wharfs on the canal. A considerable fair for cattle is held on the last Monday in February. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 5. 8., and in the gift of the Rev. John Peel: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £500, and the vicarial for £435; the glebe comprises 38 acres. The church exhibits specimens of the various styles of English architecture, and has an enriched Norman arch at the south entrance; a gallery has been lately erected. There is a separate incumbency at Stonall; and national schools are supported both at Shenstone and Stonall.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.