Shefford, Little or East
SHEFFORD, LITTLE or EAST, a parish, in the union of Hungerford, hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county of Berks, 5¾ miles (N. E.) from Hungerford; containing 59 inhabitants. It comprises about 1130 acres, of which 30 are pasture, and the remainder arable. The soil is light, resting on chalk; the surface is diversified with hills, and the lower grounds are watered by the river Lambourne. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 11. 3.; patron, R. Harbert, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £371, and the glebe consists of 27 acres. The church contains some interesting monuments.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.