SHEEPSTOR, a parish, in the union of Tavistock, hundred of Roborough, Midland-Roborough and S. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (S. E. by E.) from Tavistock; containing 127 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3469 acres, of which 2550 are common or waste land. Sheepstor rock, one of the most remarkable granite heaps in Dartmoor Forest, is a conspicuous object from Roborough down: at the foot of it is situated the village, on the little river Mew. At Ailsborough, in the parish, a lofty eminence on Dartmoor, are very extensive tinmines. The living is annexed to the rectory of Bickleigh: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £31. 3., and those of the incumbent for £61. 3.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.