SHANKLIN, a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 9½ miles (S. E.) from Newport; containing 462 inhabitants. The parish comprises 672a. 2r. 22p., of which 341 acres are arable, 248 pasture, and 75 woodland; the substratum abounds with building-stone, which is extensively quarried. The village occupies a sequestered site, sheltered by lofty downs which nearly inclose it on two sides, yet sufficiently elevated to command a fine view of Sandown bay and the ocean; it contains several lodging-houses, and two excellent hotels. At a short distance is a chasm called Shanklin Chine, which, extending a considerable way inland from the coast, and being overgrown with trees, shrubs, and brushwood, contrasted at intervals with bold masses of rock or brown earth, forms a beautifully romantic scene. The parish was anciently part of that of Brading, from which it was separated in the reign of Stephen, when the church was founded by Geoffrey de L'Isle. The living is annexed to the rectory of Bonchurch. In the church, which is a small ancient edifice, remarkable for the simplicity of its style, is an oak-chest curiously carved, with a Latin inscription dated 1512, the gift of Thomas Silksted, prior of Winchester.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.